Organization: We Effect
Location: Stockholm (Sweden)
Grade: Senior level
Women’s Empowerment and Gender Mainstreaming
Closing Date: 2021-12-09
Do you aspire to work with Gender Justice to promote the right to food, climate justice and sustainable development for all? Then you might be the person we are looking for. We Effect is now looking for a Global Technical Advisor on Gender Equality with high-level expertise in Gender Equality, gender transformative- and rights-based approaches as well as strong knowledge on conflict sensitivity.
About We Effect
We Effect is a development cooperation organisation founded in 1958 by the Swedish cooperative movement. 70 of the largest cooperative and customer-owned companies and organisations in Sweden are the members and owners of We Effect.
We Effect’s mission is to enable people living in poverty to improve their living conditions, defend their rights and contribute to a just society. We promote the use of sustainable methods that protect people and the climate and support farmers’- and housing cooperatives and other civil society organizations. Our work emphasizes gender equality and women’s empowerment, and we support advocacy for equal rights to power, land rights, housing, climate justice and food security. Through our regional and country offices, We Effect implements development cooperation programs in close collaboration with local partners in more than 20 countries in Africa, Asia, East Europe, and Latin America.
About the position
As the technical advisor, you will join an exciting team of global advisors who together form the Technical Unit situated in the International Program Department in Stockholm. You will lead the organisation’s work on gender equality, provide technical guidance and strengthen the organisations capacity to work with gender equality and the integration of gender transformative approaches in programmes. As the technical advisor, you will work in close coordination and cooperation with our regional gender focal points and lead the Global Technical Expert Group on Gender, programme staff in our regional and country offices, technical advisors in other fields and programme officers at the International Program Department.
Oversight of We Effect’s Gender Policy and Strategy:
- Oversee the implementation of We Effect’s Gender Policy and Strategy
- Contribute to, support and develop policy papers, strategies, positions and programmatic guidance regarding Gender Equality, gender transformative programming and conflict sensitivity
- Gather experiences, develop and disseminate new knowledge about how our work on gender equality and conflict sensitivity can be effectively developed, managed, monitored and followed-up
- Provide ongoing capacity strengthening and technical guidance to the regions and partner organisations to implement gender transformative programming across programmes.
- Support gender focal points in all regions to develop test, improve and integrate tools for effective integration of gender equality at organizational and programmatic levels
Support to ensure We Effect is a learning organisation:
- Provide high quality, technical input into concept notes and proposals to ensure that lessons learned through monitoring, evaluation and learning of the gender transformative integration and conflict sensitive approaches shape projects and programme design.
- Provide quality assurance in the development of steering documents, program and project applications and reports.
- Produce/contribute to reports illustrating We Effect’s impact including donor reports, concept notes, annual reports, articles and communication products
- Collaborating within the development sector as a Gender expert
- Represent We Effect at relevant events and conferences
- University degree within a relevant field or equivalent knowledge acquired through other means.
- 5 years of qualified work within the thematic area of gender equality and gender transformative programming in the development cooperation sector.
- At least 2 years of work with development cooperation in the ‘Global South’
- Experience from work with policy, thematic and/or knowledge development
- Experience of working on project design/proposal development and providing technical guidance throughout the project cycle
- Experience of working with monitoring, research and evaluation.
- Experience from providing capacity building support and facilitation, both through workshop trainings and coaching/on-the-job approaches
- Conceptual understanding of the rights-based approach and civil society development
- Excellent communication skills in English, both written and spoken
- Experience of working with conflict sensitivity, preferably in fragile settings
- Language skills in Swedish, Spanish or Portuguese is a plus.
- Experience and knowledge in other cross thematic areas
- Experience from cooperative development work and support to civil society organisations.
Desired strong personal competencies
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Communication and pedagogical skills
- Flexibility and ability to adapt work to shifting contexts, situations and needs
- Ability to work with a high level of independence and set priorities
- Ability to contribute to a team and support collaboration
- Ability to deliver results and meet deadlines
- Aptitude for learning new ways of doing things to maintain relevant and up to date on trends
The position requires between two to four trips to our regional offices per year.
Your application documents can be submitted in English or Swedish.
For more information about the position, please contact: