Organization: We Effect
Location: Stockholm (Sweden)
Grade: Senior level
Closing Date: 2021-10-20
About We Effect
We Effect is a development cooperation organisation founded in 1958 by the Swedish cooperative movement. 70 of the largest cooperative and customer-owned companies and organisations in Sweden are the members and owners of We Effect.
We Effect’s mission is to enable people living in poverty to improve their living conditions, defend their rights and contribute to a just society. We promote the use of sustainable methods that protect people and the climate and support farmers’ and housing cooperatives in Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Reduction. Our work emphasizes gender equality and women’s empowerment and we support advocacy for equal rights to power, land, housing and food security.
Through our regional and country offices, We Effect implements development cooperation programs in close collaboration with local partners in more than 20 countries in Africa, Asia, East Europe, and Latin America.
We Effect is now looking for a Global Thematic Advisor with expertise in environment, climate change and resilience (ECCR) with strong knowledge in gender equality and rights-based approaches. Do you aspire to work with the environment and climate justice with a strong gender perspective to strengthen community resilience, secure the right to food and sustainable development? Then you might be the person we are looking for.
About the position
As the advisor, you will join an exciting team of global thematic advisors who together form the Technical Unit situated in the International Program Department. You will lead the organisation’s work on the environment, climate change and resilience, provide technical input and strengthen the organisations capacity to work with and integrate ECCR perspectives in programmes. As the advisor, you will work in close coordination and cooperation with our regional ECCR focal points and programme staff in our regional and country offices and other thematic advisors and program officers in the International Program Department.
Oversight of We Effect´s ECC Policy and Strategy:
- Oversee the implementation of We Effect’s Environment and Climate Change Policy and Strategy
- Contribute to, support and develop policy papers, strategies, positions and programmatic guidance regarding Environment, Climate Change and Resilience
- Gather experiences, develop and disseminate new knowledge about how ECCR can be effectively developed, managed, monitored and followed-up
- Provide ongoing capacity strengthening and technical guidance to the regions and partner organisations to implement ECCR across programmes
- Support ECCR focal points in all regions to test, improve and integrate tools for effective integration of ECCR at organizational and programmatic levels
Support to ensure We Effect is a learning organisation:
- Provide high quality, technical input into concept notes and proposals to ensure that lessons learned through monitoring, evaluation and learning of the ECCR integration shape project and programme design
- Provide quality assurance in the development of steering documents, program and project applications and reports.
- Produce/contribute to reports illustrating We Effect’s impact including donor reports, concept notes, annual reports, articles and communication products
- Collaborating within the development sector as an ECCR expert
- Represent We Effect at relevant events and conferences
- University degree within a relevant field or equivalent knowledge acquired through other means.
- At least 5 years experience working with development cooperation from a rights-based approach
- At least 2 years of work with development cooperation in the ‘Global South’
- Thorough knowledge and experience of working with ECCR in development programmes
- Experience from work with policy, thematic and/or knowledge development
- Experience of working on project design/proposal development and providing technical guidance throughout the project cycle
- Knowledge of monitoring, research and evaluation
- Good conceptual and theoretical understanding of the rights-based approach, gender equality and civil society development
- Experience of providing capacity strengthening, mentoring, coaching support and facilitation
- Excellent communication skills in English, both written and spoken
Language skills in Swedish, Spanish or Portuguese is a plus.
Desired strong personal competencies
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Communication and pedagogical skills
- Flexibility and ability to adapt work to shifting contexts, situations and needs
- Ability to work with a high level of independence and setting priorities
- Ability to contribute to a team and support collaboration
- Ability to deliver results and meet deadlines
- Aptitude for learning new ways of doing things to maintain relevant and up to date on trends
The position requires between two to four trips to our regional offices per year.
Your application documents can be submitted in English or Swedish.
We Effect strives for diversity in the organisation. For more information about We Effect, please visit our website www.weeffect.org
For more information about the position, please contact: