We Effect’s Sustainable Agriculture and Land Management (SALM) manual was published in 2014. It has been an integral part of We Effect’s work on sustainable agriculture. Simultaneously, some partners and regional offices have worked on agroecology with great results. Internally, we have identified a need to update the SALM manual to make sure it is fit for purpose and reflecting We Effect’s strategy, the urgency of the hunger crisis and the triple crisis of biodiversity loss, climate change and pollution and its effects on smallholder farmers. This update should include an integration of the agroecological principles as it is well aligned with We Effect’s strategy and smallholder farmers’ needs. It should also show the linkage to and integrated practices that strengthen gender equality, food sovereignty, resilience, climate adaptation, climate mitigation, biodiversity and environmental sustainability. The manual should also include methods and practices to conduct sustainable farming in We Effect’s sustainable housing and habitats programmes.
The overall objective is to improve We Effect’s work on sustainable agriculture and land management, agroecology and Environment, Climate Change and Resilience (ECCR). This includes our internal and partners capacity to practice SALM and agroecology in the field.
The manual will be used by We Effect’s partners, such as local farmers’ organisations and cooperatives, We Effect staff and trainers of trainers (ToTs).
- An updated and proof-read SALM manual that is well designed in an intuitive layout, fit for purpose and that has integrated agroecological principles and practices, biodiversity and climate action.
- A roll-out plan for the updated manual including training material (including ToT materials) and training/webinars.
- Desk review of the existing manual, latest version of draft sections written by We Effect for the new SALM manual and latest evidence and methods linked to agroecology and SALM.
- Develop a draft of a new and revised SALM manual according to the specifications mentioned in this ToR.
- 1-2 feedback rounds of the new and revised SALM manual.
- Final new and revised SALM manual that has been proof-read and designed.
- Conduct sensitisation and training of relevant staff, ToTs, and partners on the updated manual and develop relevant training materials.
- A first draft of the revised SALM manual according to the specifications mentioned in this ToR.
- A second draft of the revised SALM manual according to the specifications mentioned in this ToR, that has incorporated feedback provided by We Effect.
- A new and revised SALM manual according to the specifications mentioned in this ToR, that has incorporated feedback provided by We Effect. The final version should have been proof-read and the needed layout has been designed.
- A roll-out plan for the updated manual.
- A webinar or similar method rolling out the new and revised manual to selected We Effect staff and partners. This should be recorded and the recording should be shared with We Effect.
- At least one training session with selected We Effect staff and partners. This should be documented or recorded, and documentation/recording should be shared with We Effect. The training material should be shared with We Effect in a desirable format.
- At least master’s degree in sustainable agriculture, agroecology, climate change, environmental science or similar field.
- Excellent knowledge and experience in agroecology, sustainable agriculture and land management, biodiversity and food sovereignty. Minimum 7 years of professional experience in relevant topics.
- Solid knowledge of urban/semi-urban agricultural methods like hydroponics, vegetable gardens, roof-top gardens.
- Experience incorporating gender equality and social inclusion in agriculture and climate adaptation work, through integrated and targeted approaches.
- Experience developing technical documents, training materials and organising and providing training.
- High proficiency in English at a standard to allow finalisation of technical documents. Language skills in Spanish is desirable but not required.
- Experience in writing training manuals and texts for professional publications.
To apply for the consultancy position please submit the following documents to Anna Edgren at firstname.lastname@example.org at the latest 2023-09-10.
- An updated CV, maximum 3 pages.
- A cover letter of maximum 2 pages.
- A technical and financial proposal, including timeline and budget for the assignment. Budget should be specified in SEK.
We Effect has started to develop the new sections that should be integrated in the manual, however these need to be cross-checked, translated to English (some are written in Spanish), reviewed and further developed.
We do our best to provide you the most accurate info, but closing dates may be wrong on our site. Please check on the recruiting organization’s page for the exact info. Candidates are responsible for complying with deadlines and are encouraged to submit applications well ahead.
Before applying, please make sure that you have read the requirements for the position and that you qualify.
Applications from non-qualifying applicants will most likely be discarded by the recruiting manager.